History

Kishwaukee Country Club was founded in 1901 by a group of DeKalb residents in nearby Sycamore.  The original facility offered a dance hall, a dining room, and nine holes of golf.  It stayed on this original site until 1912, when it moved to its present location off of Sycamore Road in DeKalb.  The design inspiration for the original nine holes came from Thomas Bendalow, a Scottish-American who moved to Chicago in 1901 and has also been credited with designing 600 golf courses in his 35-year career, including Medinah Country Club, the Atlanta Athletic Club, and French Lick Resort.

Boasting a fabulous 9-hole golf course, Kishwaukee Country grew in its membership and reputation over the following years.  In the late 1950's, members of the club decided it was time to expand to 18 holes and leased an additional 75 acres of land.  The "back nine" (holes 8-16) were designed by David Gill.  The newly added holes fit well with the original holes, with the exception of slightly larger greens.  This new land brought the club's acreage to its current total of 180, with 22 acres of that consisting of fairways and 3 acres a piece of greens and tees. 

In the middle 1980's, much of the course once again underwent redesign and renovation.  The work included the construction of new tees, new bunkers, and the addition of contours across the property.  A few years later, the short par-17 was moved, redesigned, and lengthened.  The club began restoring her bunkers in 2002, using original blueprints whenever possible to capture the original design intent.  Though there are still traces of the Washington and Velvet bentgrasses that were the standard during the early 1900's, the greens are "push-up" and grassed with Penncross bentgrass and Poa.  Greens are maintained at a height of .120-.125 during the season (one-eighth inch=.127) and fairways and tees are cut at .450 and .400 respectively.

Since these major renovations, there have been a number of small yet significant projects to make the course what it is today.  In cooperation with Northern Illinois University, the club added a short-game practice facility in the summer of 2009.  In late 2010, Kishwaukee Country Club proudly became the official home course of the NIU Womens Golf Team and will be host to a number of NCAA matches and tournaments over the course of the next few years.

We hope you enjoy this great piece of property as much as the many generations before have and many will to come!